White House Outlines FY 2022 R&D Budget Priorities
On August 14, the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) issued a memorandum laying out the Trump Administration’s research and development budget (R&D) priorities for fiscal year (FY) 2022. The memo cites five key White House priorities and four “high-priority crosscutting actions” for U.S. federal agencies to consider as they develop their FY 2022 budget submissions.
While the FY 2022 memo shares similar priorities to R&D memos from previous fiscal years, a notable difference is the inclusion of public health security and innovation as a priority in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The five budgetary priorities listed in the memo are:
- Public Health Security and Innovation
- Leadership in the Industries of the Future and Related Technologies
- Energy and Environmental Leadership
- Space Leadership
The memo also includes four “high-priority crosscutting actions” for federal agencies to better meet the budgetary priorities listed above. These four actions are:
- Build the S&T Workforce of the Future
- Optimize Research Environments and Results
- Facilitate Multisector Partnerships and Technology Transfer
- Leverage the Power of Data
Additional details can be found in the memorandum.